Project Learning Tree has GreenWorks! grants of up to $3,000 available to schools and youth organizations for environmental service-learning projects. Proposals are due on September 30; projects must be completed by December 2013.
Since 1992, PLT has helped fund more than 1,000 GreenWorks! projects across the country. From North Pole, Alaska to Key West, Florida, students have planted trees, restored habitats, improved streams, constructed nature trails, and more. PLT also provides grants to schools to implement recycling programs, conserve water and energy, or establish school gardens or outdoor classrooms – and integrate these projects into the curriculum.
These environmental projects combine academics with community service to link classroom learning to the real world. Students “learn by doing” through an action project that they design and implement to improve an aspect of their school or neighborhood’s environment. The projects partner students with their whole school, local businesses and/or community organizations, and provide opportunities for student leadership.
To qualify for a grant up to $1,000, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must have attended a PLT workshop
- The proposed project must involve service-learning
- The proposed project must exemplify student voice
- The proposed project must involve at least one community partner
- The proposed project must secure at least 50% matching funds (in-kind acceptable)
To qualify for a grant up to $3,000, in addition to the above grant requirements, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a teacher at a school (public or private)
- Applicant must be registered on the PLT GreenSchools! website, www.greenschools.org. (It’s free!)
- Applicant must have established a student Green Team
- Applicant must have completed one or more of the PLT GreenSchools! Investigations
- The proposed project must be based on the findings of one or more of the PLT GreenSchools! Investigations
Get Started Today
Download PLT’s 2012 GreenWorks! grant application and consider involving your students in making recommendations for projects they’d like to implement at their school or in their community. Don’t forget, applications are due September 30!
Article by Jaclyn Stallard, Manager of Education Programs, Project Learning Tree